3 September 2011

Wonder


This blog will soon be having it's first anniversary. When I began this blog, I had certain intentions and a possible audience in mind. But for me, blogs are organic and this one soon claimed its own life. 

My first consideration is to thank everyone who has visited or stumbled here. Thank you for your time, for your comments and possibly, for re-visiting. It's always a wonder to know that someone has taken time to read a posting and even took more time to give feedback. Your visits and comments are always very welcome and appreciated. 

I don't want to convince others now of the role of blogs in education; there are many good reasons (some of which I've pointed out here) and for those who have read entries throughout this blog,  will know that I regularly refer to students using a particular tool to then embed in their own blog. 

So, is there nothing I can share? Nothing that I have learnt through keeping this skybox?

One of my initial intentions was to provide students with an example - how else should educators persuade learners if not by taking the first step?

This skybox has also been my playground, where I share tools I come across and experiment with. And just like any other playground, it is strewn with  thingies, widgets, and visuals. It is no surprise to any visitor that learning visually is one of my characteristics. 

Speaking of tools, I would like to send a special thank you to  Nik Peachey and Russell Stannard, two of the most innovative professionals in the world of ICT, ELT, social media and education and who have most positively and constructively influenced my learning journey. 

There are too many other educators from whom I have learnt so much over the years to mention each by name, but to all, my sincerest thank you for inspiring and teaching me. It has been a wonder to continue learning, continue discovering and, after so many years in classrooms, still a wonder to begin teaching  new courses. 

I have also learnt that in our blogosphere there are those who take it upon themselves to dictate how blogs should be written and construed. They leave me wondering with their deep, dark undertones to those who do not follow their pearls of dictated rules; if you do not obey, then your blog is  destined to crumble and vanish in the far, far cold and dusty ends of the web universe. An end so terrible, that signing your name to a blog posting becomes almost a heresy. But, as in all things in life, there is always light and lightness elsewhere. 

What else have I learnt? I have learnt that yes, one should listen to those who have much to offer to educators who express themselves through social media. And again, I'd like to point out Nik Peachey's excellent advice in On Blogging and Social Media as well as Nicky Hockly's E-Moderation Station.  However, there are many other bloggers and educators who I have learnt from but cannot possibly list them all - to all, thank you for the wonders you share.  

So where does this all leave me? Write for yourself. Write for your learners. Write with wonder and pleasure. Write for self-discovery, for learning, for wondering. Write with belief. 

Just like we encourage our students to keep blogs, I strongly encourage colleagues to read and write blogs. There is light and wonder when sharing, when discovering.

Be aware of wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment