29 December 2012

The Learning Life


Time and time again. Another year hurries to its end;  another semester, hanging in a  flickering limbo of  holiday celebrations, is a time for  students to prepare for their final exams. 

Far from my teaching environment, I look through another culture with eyes of awe and respect. Learning theories, winter colours, gleaming mountains, differing classrooms, all connect in a quiet lull of thought and questioning.

And then there are the children. The children who I watch as they draw their world, not always entirely sure of the power that paper and coloured crayons can bring to them. 

Children playing to learn their future roles.

Desire to play as a child and create as only a child can, left out of their regular days. 

Throughout this blog, I share tools and thoughts for digital learning, however, how much learning actually requires digital tools? 

Just as the Annapura and Goddess Range stare at me, forcing me into internal inquiries, issues of learning raise their complex head. 

This world of discovering crayons and white silken paper is a far cry from the educational world I inhabit. While I consider possible bridges of the two worlds, which I increasingly learn about and from, I know I must re-focus on my students' world of learning.

 Below is an infographic, published by Study Blue, reflecting the learning life of modern students - students, whose profiles are of another world than the one I currently am researching. 



An inside look at the habits of the modern student. [Infographic]
Via: STUDYBLUE.com

As I think of my other world where I am an active educational practioner, I cannot but help recall how learners need regular reminding of their digital citizenship. Copyright and Schools is a great site for both learners and teachers, guiding them through the maze of rights regarding music, movies, books and websites. By clicking on each item, clearly explained information pops up, offering advice regarding copyright practices. 

How do you teach learners about copyright?


Further references:















Lastly, may 2013 be a wondrous year, a happy year of learning, teaching, sharing, of empathy towards to all. 


2 comments:

  1. I really like the infographic from studyblue you included in this article. I have to say, it's definitely spot on! I'm a life-long learning fanatic and I can identify with almost everything on it!

    As far as the question you asked about how to teach learners about copyright; I think the best way is to simply tell them that if they didn't create whatever they are using in it's entirety, then they should give credit and include references for anything that wasn't their own original work. Better safe than sorry, and it's just etiquette to give credit where credit is due.

    -Vance
    ExcellenceForEveryone.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best tactics that my teachers used when educating students on copyright is to encourage the pupil to use as many resources as possible. A portion of the grade for certain papers was based on how many citations were provided. Not only does this encourage the student to give the credit where credit is due, it can open a whole new world to the student during their research.
    “Children playing to learn their future roles.” – Fantastic imagery!

    -Brad
    www.classbakesale.com

    ReplyDelete